Being the Mom of a preteen is hard, even when it is supposed to be fun! Long gone are the days of dressing Evan up like a bumble bee and carrying him to a few friends houses for Trick or Treating. This year he wanted to have a “cool” costume and go out with his friends – without me.
I was very reluctant to allow him to go out on Halloween without me. We came up with a plan we can both live with. Instead of going trick or treating, he will be attending a Halloween party.
With the trick or treating out of the way, we had a battle (literally with swords) about his costume. He wanted something gory and disgusting, I wanted something cute and cuddly. He wanted something dark and mean, I wanted something bright and fun. I just don’t remember costumes being this complicated.
Seriously, one year I wore my dads overalls and a plaid shirt – called myself a farmer.
We were at a stalemate after looking at about 50 costumes. There was just going to be no Halloween. Halloween should be about fun, not death and dying! To my surprise, we found a solution. We bought a packaged costume and souped it up a little. Mom is happy, Evan is happy. The fun is back in Halloween!
If you want to have a Scary Good Halloween for your kiddo, here are some of my favorite tips:
- If you are nervous about your kid going out trick or treating without you, try having a big group of kids go together. There is safety in numbers!
- Accompany your kids, even if they don’t want you too – you don’t necessarily have to seen.
- Give your kids your cell phone for the night – make them check in frequently.
- If your kiddo feels like they are too old to go out, dress up at home and let them hand out candy to the little ones in the neighborhood.
- Skip trick or treat all together – throw a small party with friends – you definitely won’t be the lame parent then!
Now I’m curious to know, what are your favorite Halloween party tips, tricks, and memories? By answering you will be entered to win one of 15 Halloween Prize Packages (each a $100 value) from Fanta!