I am so ready for fall. Tonight I decided to whip up some pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese icing. They are divine.This recipe was inspired by the Joy of Baking. I did change up a few of the spices and quantities. I also used my own icing recipe – I like it extra cream cheesey and sweet!
So here we go:
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (pack it in the cup solid)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 block of cream cheese ( i like mine very cream cheesy, use about 4 ozs if you like less cream taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered confectioners sugar (use less if you don’t like it really sweet – you can always add more)
- Mix a small amount of sugar and cinnamon in bowl , sprinkle lightly on top of icing.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla extract. Mix in the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and pumpkin puree, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Fill 12 muffin cups evenly with the batter using two spoons. Place in the oven and bake for about 18 – 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool. Do not frost until cool.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Beat until desired consistency.
Sprinkle cupcakes with garnish and let icing set.
Source: Joy of Baking