This fabulous Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, sans the Tortillas looks just delish.
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 – 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes (about 58 oz total)
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans of corn (frozen works well too!)
- 2 – 15 oz cans of black beans
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried bay, chopped bay leaves (you can substitute whole leaves if that’s what you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Juice from one lime
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
2. Saute onion for 2 minutes, then add garlic. Saute for additional minute.
3. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, bay leaves, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and cilantro. Bring to a boil.
4. Add raw chicken and reduce to medium-low heat. Cook for approx. 30 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. As chicken breast sizes vary, so will cooking times.
5. After chicken is cooked through, remove chicken from pot and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Shred chicken and place back in pot.
7. Add lime juice.