Banana Cupcakes & Nutella Cream Icing
Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Icing
Nutella is a very dangerous food. It is ridiculously good. Like eat the entire jar good. When I saw the coupon and the sale… I immediately thought cupcakes.
Instead of eating it right out of the jar, I thought I would try a recipe. This recipe is not for the faint of heart… or those on a diet …or those who don’t like to eat alot of sugar… or those who don’t like to consume alot of fat in one sitting. Seriously. Just scroll down to the next post, right now …. if any of those things bother you. This recipe is decadent. Rich. Delicious. Addictive.
I found a recipe for Banana Cupcakes and Nutella here. As per usual, I cannot just make a recipe like it is called for. I wanted to try these cupcakes with more of a banana bread consistency – with bigger chunks of bananas and a little more on the dense side – but really moist.
So here is the plan:
Recipe for Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Icing
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar (adjust if you like it a little less sweet 3/4 cups would work)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 small very ripe bananas, mashed (note: the original recipe called for banana puree, I like the banana pieces in my cake)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup – 1 1/2 cup nutella (start with 1 cup, if you want a richer taste, you can always add more)
- 1 cup of powdered confectioner sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Cream/Mix together softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs – one at time, mixing while adding.
- Stir in the flour mixture slowly. Mix until just blended.
- Mix in banana. Mix until a smooth texture. (note you will want to be sure to mix all the bananas in until creamy)
- Use large spoon or ice cream scoop to portion batter into cups.
- Recipe makes about 14-16 cupcakes.
While your cupcakes are baking, you can make the ever delicious Nutella Frosting.
Nutella Icing Recipe
- Cream together softened cream cheese and Nutella until blended.
- Add the powdered sugar gradually until ingredients are combined.
- Mix on a high speed until icing is smooth and creamy.(this make take a bit) (be sure to use a spatula to scrape the sides to keep the nutella in the mix)
- Try not to eat the entire bowl of icing before the cupcakes are finished baking.