It is the unexpected expenses that sometimes throw us off our plan to stick to our budgets. I’d like to say that is why we all have our emergency funds set aside. Even so, sometimes our expenses can be much larger than we expect.
Last fall, my dryer started making some noises and I knew it was going to be time to replace it. It was 9 years old and the repairs were going to be super expensive. This was at the end of September. We almost bought a new one that very day. Instead, we hobbled along for a bit, so I could find a deal. I really wanted to get a nice front loader, but for the pair, it was $2000. I considered buying a lower end top loader to save the money.
Instead, I decided to wait until Black Friday to see if I could score a deal. What a deal I scored!
On Black Friday, Lowes had a sale for $999.99 for both the front loading dryer and washer I wanted. In addition, I used a 10% Home Depot Coupon! So I got my washer and dryer for $899, less than half the price! I was even able to donate my old washer to a family in need, because it still worked.
So while its not always possible to get 50% off or more, here are some tips to saving on appliances:
1. Try Craigslist, Freecycle or Ebay – You can often find deals on good used appliances online. Make sure you check out the appliance before you purchase.
2.Check out Scratch and Dent Outlets – Sometimes you can find an appliance up to 50% off at Scratch and Dent Outlets. Many times these are just cosmetic and do not affect the quality of the appliance.
3. Buy the Floor Model – You can get a good discount by buying the floor model. Be sure to check it over before purchasing.
4. Look for closeouts – Many times closeouts are available – they are just cheaper because the company is discontinuing them.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount – Ask your salesman for a discount ! Many places like Lowes have a program where if you are buying a set dollar amount – they can submit them for a price reduction.
6. Check to see what the coupon policy is – Many hardware stores will take competitors coupons.
7. Ask for a price match – Many appliance companies don’t want to lose a sale. Ask them if they will price match your competitors. Some will even price match with an additional discount.
8. Don’t overlook your local retailer – Sometimes the smaller appliance sales people have more flexibility to make you a deal.
9. Wait for off season sales – Wait until season end closeouts, you can score some great deals on seasonal appliances like grills.
What is your best tip to buying appliances? Did you save big, tell us how!