New Databar Coupon Codes
Coupons barcodes began changing as of July 1st, 2011. This is when the retailers began moving to only the databar GS1 Coupon Codes.
You may have noticed that your coupon barcodes are different as of July 1st… Have you noticed that some of your coupons are now printing out with just one barcode that looks like the barcode below:
What is the Databar?
The new DataBar Coupon format will provide manufacturers more options for purchase requirements and values and make it possible to code more complex offers. It will enable the coupon to be validated at checkout to ensure the manufacturer intended the purchase that was made. Ideally, it may reduce mis-redemption.
In addition, retailers would get better scanning accuracy at the POS. More specific coding and fewer human readable elements should reduce mis-redemption, while minimizing the amount of “hard-to-handle” coupons. With the new barcode, retailers will be able to code chain-specific promotions, which now is almost impossible to do. They will also be able to leverage offer tracking and provide improved purchase auditing back to the manufacturers.
- GS1 Company Prefixes. The existing structure only allows companies with a 6-digit prefix the ability to coupon. The new format can accommodate variable length prefixes.
- Coupon value codes can now be in any amount up to $999.99, and they are not limited to a table of only 100 possibilities.
- Precise offer descriptions and validation of offers involving specified quantity purchases can now be expressed.
- Fraud reduction due to complexity of description and save values. Also, the entire barcode encoded data is not presented in human readable format.
- Automatic expiration date checking for retailers.
What does it mean to you?
Most of the larger retailers have already implemented the databar coupon system into their registers. For now many coupons still have both barcodes visible. However, some of the smaller chains do not have them updated. They have 6 months to get their computers updated.
During this transition, you may have stores that will not accept the single bar code coupons because it does not scan.
Has your store updated for the databar system? Let us know in the comments.
Source: DataBar Coupon Codes