Welcome to Learn to Coupon... in 30 days. For the next 30 days (week days), I will be posting a couponing how to. Each day we will build on the prior days information. The goal of this series is to teach you the basics of couponing. Where to start, what coupons to use, how to use your coupons and more.This series will focus on realistic strategies for couponing. There will be some depth to the posts, so you will need to spend the time reading the posts in the entirety. Since each post will build on the day before, I suggest you read them chronologically.
Where to Find Coupons
Coupons are everywhere. 20 years ago there were only a few sources of coupons. Today, you can find coupons just about everywhere. We all know the standard Sunday newspapers – but the best coupons these days are not found in newspapers. After coupon stacking, high value coupons is another way to say big dollars.
Over the next few days, we are going to discuss some of the well known sources and not so well known sources for coupons. Today’s post will focus on where to obtain Manufacturer Coupons in Sunday Inserts.
Sunday Newspaper Inserts
On Sunday, you will find weekly coupon inserts. There are three major inserts that you will find:
- Smartsource – abbreviated at SS
- Redplum - abbreviated as RP
- Proctor & Gamble – abbreviated as P&G or PG
From time to time you will also find:
- General Mills – abbreviated as GM
- Seasonal and Promotional Inserts
Some weeks there are more inserts than other. There is a published coupon insert schedule, however it is subject to change You can see the tentative schedule for which inserts will be on particular weekend.
There are a few important notes about Sunday Newspaper coupons:
1. Not all newspapers carry all inserts. This does not mean that they have different coupons, it means they simply do not include Redplum or Smartsource or P&G in their papers. The newspapers do not decide what inserts they get. The coupon distribution companies make decisions as to where the coupons will be distributed. Many times coupons are not included in papers due to cost factors. If you are not getting the Redplum in your newspaper, you may be able to request it for home delivery. You will not get it if they provide it to a paper that is local to you.
2. Every newspaper gets different coupons. You may hear the term regional coupons on a regular basis. Regional isn’t a really good term to describe coupons. Coupons are really geocentric. Sometimes, areas just don’t ever receive the good coupons. Other times, You can go into a gas station on a Sunday morning and pick up three different newspapers and get three different sets of inserts. Do not be surprised if your coupons vary from the weekly coupon previews. I suggest you buying all of your local newspapers at one time and comparing denominations to determine which newspaper has the best coupons for you.
3. Every newspaper gets different denominations in coupons. The manufacturers make strategic decisions on coupon values. You may notice that a coupon preview says $.50 off 1 but you receive $1.00/2. Unfortunately, none of us are privy to the decision making process.
4. There are no coupons on holiday weekends. Save your money on the holiday weekends. Most major holiday weekends we don’t see any coupons. Maybe once a year depending on timing, the P&G insert may fall on a holiday weekend, but it is very rare.
Before you decide to buy another paper for better coupons, you can check your insert to see what papers it is included in. Take a look at the side of your coupon insert, it will list all the papers that are included.
Note: You may find that your SmartSource and Redplum are not distributed in all the same papers.
From time to time, you may find store coupons in Sunday inserts. Stores like Target will put coupons in the in the sunday inserts.
If you don’t get the coupons in your Sunday newspaper, you can opt to purchase inserts. Some places you can purchase coupons:
Fortunately, the coupon playing field has be leveled quite a bit over the past few years. With internet printables now main stream, we all have a chance at getting high value coupons, regardless of our Sunday paper.